Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Once Our Gallant Hero


The princess is in the dragon's cave,
And the knight has gone drinking,
He turned in a formal resignation,
As his armor fades away,
It turns to thick skin,

"Faerie-tales are make-believe", said once our gallant hero,
He doesn't seem to be moved anymore,
"That princess was some rich man's girl,
"And the dragon part of our collective imagination.
"It feels good to be back in reality", he said,
"Pour me another,
"I can't believe I've wasted all my youth on romantic notions,
"It's time to get a job and think of a career,
"There's no money in dragon slaying, I fear,
"The only thing that's real to me is this glass of beer,
"And time ticking away."

The princess walked into the bar in the arms of once his rival,
"Say, are those snake-skin boots?", the barkeep asked,
She answered with a glowing smile,
But the knight now coward from his better,
Every man knows when he's been beat,
Quickly he finishes his drink,
And like his armor, fades away.

No comments:

Post a Comment